Search This Blog

29.7.18

Reading July 2018

Reading never stops.  I'd recommend all these but I am struggling with Joseph Conrad, amazing writer though he is.  It's the patriarchy and stony manliness of the characters.  It's the tinge of racism even through an enlightened lens, for the time.  I am beginning to think Conrad is not timeless in the way that Shakespeare and Cervantes and Rabelais are.  But I have committed to the three books:  Lord Jim/Heart of Darkness/Nostromo in order to read Maya Jasanoff's 'The Dawn Watch'.
Such are the reading deals we make!  But I shall finish Lord Jim even if it curls my toenails.

The Vorrh is extraordinary.  A symbolist novel written beautifully by a sculptor.  The pinnacle of Science Fiction and there are two more books in the trilogy!  Marvellous abundance.

Pound I shall report on in future posts.
Edmund White-Humanity squared.  Lovely and an introduction to lots of interesting reading avenues.




No comments:

Post a Comment